Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Mask

We got on the train together, but I didn't see him.
It was eleven pm and I just left the theatre where I had been working in the dark all day, to get into the warm subway. We were sitting opposite from each other. Only when I sat down, my bag on my lap, arms folded around it to rest a little, and looked around, I saw him.
He was wearing jeans, worn down sneakers. A tight jacket and a ladylike leather bag that could fit a phone, keys and more things girls stuff their bags with. And he was wearing a mask. No balaclava, but a golden burlesque mask.
His whole face was covered by it, there was only a little whole for his mouth. On the edges, it was decorated with golden knobs and the rest was covered in shiny coloured sequins. On the left side, at the level of his eyebrow, there was a little horn, golden of course, that curled upwards. The other horn, that I expected on the right side, appeared right under his nose.
His eyes were also hidden, behind little holes that reminded me of C3PO from Star Wars. His hands were knuckled, old. One held a lighter, the other aggressively ticked on his phone, on which he was playing a game as if his life was depending on it.
Once in a while he looked up, looked around and then focussed on his phone again. People around us couldn't stop looking at him. They did it though in the normal way of looking at people in the train: they would glance a little, but then turn away and stare in front of them like nothing strange was going on.
I just looked ahead, and therefor at him. His hair was short and bleached and was styled in some sort of David Bowie coupe. Sometimes he would couch a little, and put the hand with the lighter in front of his mouth.

I wondered if he might be going to a party, or if he just wanted to wear his mask today. Or maybe someone told him to do so. I would like to take his picture, but you shouldn't state the obvious. I hoped he would get out at my stop, which he did, but he headed in the other direction. He might live in the neighbourhood, so I might run into him again.
I can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment